The Crystal Method - Community Service II Review
by Eric Bodrero
The Crystal Method's Community Service II, as a whole, is a tripped out and wonderfully danceable album for raves and dance halls the world over, and I imagine it will quickly become an essential tool in any DJ's musical tool belt. The album serves as one continuous, one hour and sixteen minutes of nonstop, remixed tracks to fling your body to, a la Crystal Method style, of such artists as New Order, Elite Force, The Doors and Smashing Pumpkins. However, I'm not quite sure how well this album works for casual music fans or TCM fans, especially when one just samples tracks here and there, and it doesn't seem like this album would really fit into a person's everyday listening lifestyle.
That's not to say the album isn't listenable, as remixes of Smashing Pumpkins from the New Originals and The Doors from TCM are welcome additions that keep the album fresh. However, did we really need yet another version of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle? That track has been remixed to death, and was remixed better decades ago at that.
Most of the rest of these tracks drag on a little too long, and about halfway through this album they start grating on your nerves; unless of course your in the middle of a sweaty mosh pit somewhere in front of giant, deafening speakers and being hypnotized by colored strobe lights while bumping, thumping and grinding with complete strangers, or just shopping at Old Navy.
Other than that, expect the same thumping beats, tripped out rhythms, and electronic bleeping, blipping and sampling that can be found on other Crystal Method albums, and just about any other kind of electronic dance music you've ever listened to.
CD Info and Links
The Crystal Method - Community Service II
2. Gyromancer - (Elite Force remix, with PMT)
3. Ghetto Fabulous - (with Elite Force)
4. Come With Me - (with Hyper)
5. Crystal Method vs. The Doors, The - (Roadhouse Blues remix, with The Doors)
6. We Have The Energy - (with Evil Nine)
7. Salty - (Meat Katie remix, with Dylan Rhymes/Katherine Ellis)
8. Keep Hope Alive - (J.D.S. mix)
9. Speedfreak - (with Koma + Bones)
10. Kalifornia - (with Kevin Beber)
11. Octopus - (with Uberzone)
12. Reign - (False Prophet mix, with UNKLE/Ian Brown)
13. Starting Over - (Elite Force mix)
14. Bound Too Long - (Hyper mix)
15. Bizarre Love Triangle - (The Crystal Method's CSII mix, with New Order)
16. 1979 - (New Originals 1799 remix, with Smashing Pumpkins)
Preview and Purchase This CD Online
Visit the official homepage
More articles for this artist
tell a friend about this review